Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Review.




Another year has come to a close.  It surprises me how quickly time seems to go by lately.  One of the results of getting older year by year seems to be the perceived increase in the speed with which time passes.  Very rarely do I find that time goes by slowly anymore, but quite often I find that it has passed quite quickly.  This is quite the opposite of what I remember of my childhood when a week seemed like a year, and I couldn't even understand how long a month meant.  Since the year has come to an end I thought it would be good for me to kind of do a recap of some of the highlights of my 2010 as I look forward to an even more eventful 2011.  
 
In case you missed it, here is what has happened with me in the calendar year 2010:

I purchased a new house - although I enjoyed living at home and was able to minimize my expenses significantly by being there, as a 26 year old man with a good job I just didn't feel good about living at home with my parents anymore.  It was a good time to buy and I took advantage of some government programs at the time in order help myself feel better about my purchase.  

Lots of travel - well, relative to the rest of my life at least.  Most of my life I have not travelled all that much.  This year allowed me to go to a lot of new places that I have never been before.  List of places I visited this year includes: Detroit, San Francisco, Orange County, Los Angeles, Denver, St. Louis, Nauvoo, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Washington DC, Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Provo, Philadelphia, Birmingham, Albuquerque.  

Car troubles - ran rampant the last half of the year.  After about 3 years of not having to really worry about anything car related, I got in a minor car accident at the beginning of August.  Little did I know that this would just be the beginning of a 4 month car carousel, which HOPEFULLY ended yesterday.  After about a month and a half of juggling cars with the parents I purchased a cash car from a used car place for very cheap.  It ran perfectly in the test drive, and promptly died less than 48 hours later.  The engine was destroyed and cost a lot to fix.  I then went back to the same used car lot to see if they would give me a discount on a different car since they sold me a dud.  I purchased another car for them for fairly cheap, but more than the first car.  It ran well for about two months and then they engine blew up on me after my trip to Albuquerque for the New Mexico Bowl.  Yesterday I went and purchased a certified used car from a Honda dealership with all of the extended warranties I could get.  I look forward to not having to worry about car troubles again for a very long time.  

BYU sporting events - all in all I am pretty pleased with my attendance at BYU sports this year.  Living in Fort Worth, TX is not the most conducive place I can live in order to attend BYU sporting events, but in spite of this I was still able to attend: Mens Basketball at TCU, Football at TCU, Football vs. Washington, Football vs. Wyoming, Football vs. UTEP (bowl game).

Church - has kept me very busy throughout the year, even more so than usual.  My calling kind of makes it so I feel a bit more obliged to be at all of the activities I can get to, as well as all of the responsibilities I have on top of it.  I was also able to go to the temple a lot more this year than I ever remember going previously.  I was able to visit several different temples this year including: Dallas, Los Angeles, Nauvoo, Washington DC, Mt. Timpanogos, Salt Lake, and Provo.  

New friends, old friends - this year was a year of finding new friends here in Dallas, as well as staying in touch with old friends both back in Provo and on / home from missions.  It was a lot of fun making new friends, though it has taken me a lot longer and been a lot harder than I would have liked.  Good friends also returned from missions and set off on missions this year.  It has been fun reconnecting and staying in touch with them as well.  

All in all, it has been a great year.  I have had some of my highest highs and lowest lows that I can remember this year.  I feel like a real grown up now having purchased both a new car and a new house.  As great as 2010 has been, there were also a lot of trials and difficulties that helped me grow a lot in many different areas.  I look forward to a new challenge and many fun times and connections in 2011!  Have fun tonight.  12-31-10

No comments:

Post a Comment